UPCOMING EAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
Stay tuned for more exciting professional development opportunities!
OTHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES
* Please note that the events and presenters below are not directly affiliated with TEAL Manitoba. Please direct all questions and inquiries to the contact information listed in event posters.
Manitoba Education and Training: EAL Summer Institute:
Getting Started With Students Learning EAL
Dates: Tuesday, August 28 and Wednesday, August 29, 2018 from 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
Location: Room 217A, 1181 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg
Registration: Information to follow.
Description: This two-day interactive and informative summer institute on Getting Started with Students Learning EAL will look at the big ideas associated with EAL programming. Topics will include:
- Manitoba EAL Framework
- Welcoming and Assessing new students
- First days in the school and the classroom
- Planning for EAL learners
- Providing for students with interrupted learning
- Ongoing assessment (content, language, report cards)
- Cultural sensitivity and culturally responsive teaching
- Student well being and psycho-social needs
- There is no registration fee for this workshop.
- Transportation and accommodation are on your own.
- Parking is $3.75 for the day and the meter takes credit card.
- Coffee will be set up for 8:30 for you to network and meet other educators.
- Lunch will be on your own.
- Please bring a device capable of going online. Notes and handouts will be available digitally only. Wi-Fi will be available.
University of British Columbia: M.Ed in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
The University of British Columbia is now offering a new, fully online, part-time Master of Education in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL). This program is offered through the Department of Language and Literacy Education, in the Faculty of Education, at The University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.
The MEd in TESL begins September 2018 and the application deadline is March 15, 2018. This cohort program is designed to develop highly skilled and specialized professionals in the field of TESL, and the part-time schedule is catered to fit the needs of working teachers of K-12 and adult education.
Students in this program will gain theoretical and practical knowledge in the following areas:
- Key principles of applied linguistics for teachers
- Second and foreign language acquisition, teaching methods, and writing
- English proficiency assessment
- Language, discourse, and identity
- Multilingual literacy and multimodality